Just a Springin'
Spring is finally showing it's face to Northern Michigan, and today the sun is shining bright in Elk Rapids! I can feel it's rays hitting on my face through our door here at Exit Northern Shores. There IS hope!!!
With the temperatures expected to rise rapidly this week, the snow is going to be melting and looking for places to drain. (Thank goodness, good riddance!) But you need to remember that water damage can happen quickly!! Here's some tips to keep your home flood-free.
• Keep catch basins clear and uncover fire hydrants near your home;
• Consider the installation of protective plumbing devices such as back-flow valves or sump pumps;
• Ensure sewer laterals are functioning properly through regularly scheduled maintenance;
• Keep your eaves-troughs clean. When your eaves-troughs are blocked, the rain will pour over the edges and land on the ground next to your home. If you have cracks in the concrete wall of your basement or problems with your weeping tile, this water could enter your home;
• Consider disconnecting roof leaders from the sewer system. Do this only if it is determined that neighboring properties will not be adversely affected;
• Consider installing window well covers to help keep window wells free from debris which can clog drains and cause basement flooding.